Thursday, June 11, 2009

Chicago!

Hello all!

Before you pause the music that's playing now, listen to it no matter how much you hate Miley Cyrus. And go watch the video that I posted on Facebook. I keep repeating it. So funny. Hahaha. So here's the entry on Chicago. Thank you Papa & Mama for allowing me to go (and your credit card).

Chicago Day 1- 7 Jun 2009

It was a super impromptu holiday. I realised that my OFF days are joined these two weeks so I went online and book my air tix + hotel on Thursday morning and left on Sunday morning. Hahaha. Nobody could make this sudden trip with me so I went alone.

Chicago is one of the few destinations where Jackson Hole actually has a direct flight too.

My first meal in Chicago. I wanted to eat the world famous Chicago hotdogs actually but I couldn't find it. So settled for a place called Wow Bao. The Mongolian Beef bao tasted funny.

And after that it was shopping! This shopping centre is called Water Tower Place. I bought a vest and jeans from Forever 21. Regretted not buying anything from Abercrombie & Fitch. Wanted to buy some body lotions from Victoria's Secret (on sale!) but couldn't because I was not planning on checking in any bags. (You had to pay additional for check in bags for domestic flights) I learnt to travel light during this trip.

The "Orchard Road" of Chicago. They called it "The Magnificent Mile".

Chicago Trolley!

Hershey's Chicago. So overwhelmed by the choco smell upon entering the shop.

But it was heaven. So many things to see and buy. The chocolate bar and syrup bottle were huge. Should have taken a further picture to show the contrast. And are you kidding me? A Hershey's Barbie?

The main attraction along the Magnificent Mile. John Hancock Observatory. I'm not sure if the movie has anything to do with it.

And my hotel which was located just a block down from the John Hancock Observatory. Checked in a few hours ago but my room was not ready so I went shopping.

I booked a standard room but they upgraded me to a suite FOC! Whoo hoo! Seperate living room from bedroom. But I overheard the reason why they did it. Overbooked.

Little kitchen and bathroom. I love the rainforest showerhead.

Rested abit and headed out to find dinner. Initial plan was to head up to the observatory to capture the night view but I dunno what happened. The whole top started to fog like crazy.

The company.

Mr. Singing In the Rain was standing right outside the hotel.

This entire street was filled with restaurants and pubs. Nightlife.

Dinner.

Looks like a scene from those movies when a major flood or a bomb is about to drop on the city.

Chicago Day 2- 8 Jun 2009

I bought some instant noodles for breakfast but right before cooking, I realised the hotel room didn't have a bowl or a fork. Just a microwave. Smart.

Time to explore the city on foot! I walked so many blocks till I stopped counting. All I know was that my feet were crying.

First stop, the popular Navy Pier. So many kids because it housed the Chicago Children Museum. The Ferris Wheel was modeled after the very first Ferris wheel, which was built for Chicago's 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. Did you know that when it was Paris to host the World's Columbian Exposition, they built the Eiffel Tower? What a difference. I would love to return to Navy Pier at night. It's like a huge themepark with fireworks.

Where's Singapore?

The Chicago River. So clean. It reminds me of the Singapore River because buildings line it too.

I dunno the signifance of the farmer and his wife being there.

The Chicago Tribune (newspaper), WGN Radio (the DJs could be seen through a glass!) and Mama, your Hard Rock Hotel Chicago.

The world famous Chicago Theatre.

A must visit in Chicago- Millemmium Park.

Wrigley Square and Millennium Monument (Peristyle).

Cloud Gate on AT&T Plaza. But nobody really calls it the Cloud Gate. They mostly called it the Silver Bean. Hahaha.

Jay Pritzker Pavilion.

Hello from Chicago!

God created the world, everything else is Made In China.

The Crown Fountain. The faces change every few minutes.

And they sprout water too! Should have done a fixed shot so that it'll look more artistic. Hahahaha.

Wanted to continue walking on to the other must sees in Chicago including the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium and the Shedd Aquariam but I was so damn tired so re-routed back to the hotel. Hahaha.

But first, not without making a stop at the Disney Store. Bought a Sleeping Beauty for US$3.99 and a Nightmare Before Christmas notebook for US$9.50!

Oh by the way, I took the public transportation to the hotel. It could have been a direct train ride and a short bus ride but the train route had to be under construction at this time. -.-' Had to get off the train and ride two buses before getting to my hotel.

After resting for a while, crossed over next door and bought a ticket for the John Hancock Observatory. Chose the Sun+Star package for $19 because it allowed you up twice. Normal entrance was already $15. The smaller Lego version of the tower cost $19.99. -.-' Collector's edition.

The view of Chicago from the 94th storey. Chicago is a beautiful city. They said that when it is a clear day, you can even see the states of Wisconsin and Indiana.

The ticket even came with this Multimedia Sky Tour that points out the POI in Chicago.

So lucky to capture this shot.

Hallelujah.

Went back downstairs for dinner at The Cheescake Factory. Heavenly. I took away the cheesecake because I was so full. The bread was totally unexpected. Didn't know they provided that.

Went up right on time for sunset. I never knew the sun could set so fast.

Right before the sky turned completely dark.

If only they had open air observatory, Chicago does have a pretty nightview. By the way, right after I took the last picture, the manager came up to me and told me tripods weren't allowed in the building because of insurance purposes. -.-' I think they're just afraid people would take nice pictures and not buy their postcards.

Souvenirs! I bought the photo at the top from JHO and it included a free email of the photo but it was listed as Junk in Hotmail and I went ahead to delete all of them and now it's gone forever. -.-' Anybody knows how to retrieve deleted junk mail from Hotmail?

Chicago Day 3- 9 Jun 2009

Time to head home. =( Too fast too fast.

While waiting for my airport transportation. Direct flight home again.

Home Sweet Home. The whole flight was full of old people.

My snowy mountains tell me that I'm home. While the rest of America is experiencing summer temperature, I'm still doing 15 DC and 3 DC everyday. Plus, it's raining. EVERYDAY. Save meeeeeee.

And Beilin's postcards have arrived! Haha. So cute! Thank you girl! More!

Alright, hope you love this Chicago entry as much as I loved the city. Wished I had more time to explore the other parts though. Back to work tomorrow. So nua. 5 days OFF. Hahaha.

No comments: